The PMI offers the PgMP (Program Management Professional) certification, and it is known as one of the most advanced certifications in the field of program and project management. It is considered a step-up from the PMP certification, but unlike that one, its exam can’t be passed just by studying a book or two. On the other hand, you need to prove your program management experience and a fundamental understanding of its principles to get the Pmi certification.
As the PgMP exam requirements are more extensive, it makes sense that there are only a few thousand PgMP-certified professionals worldwide compared to nearly a million PMP professionals. In this blog, we will help you with some essential tips that will render your journey of passing the PgMP certification exam an easier one. Please read on!
Whom Is This Certification Meant For?
You should consider applying for this certification if you fall into one of the following categories:
- You already possess your PMP certification and want to pursue a career in the program and project management field. A PgMP certification can assist you in understanding and learning several best practices in the program management sector. You can then apply these practices to your daily work as a professional program manager.
- You want to have a deeper understanding of managing large or complex programs. The overall organisational elements are brought into perspective by the PgMP certification, which directly or indirectly impacts its delivery of large and complex projects and programs. Gaining this understanding can help you efficiently manage large and complex projects in organisations.
- You want to upgrade your knowledge in the program management area. This certification can aid you in mastering the best practices in program management that have been compiled by worldwide experts.
Essential Tips for Passing the PgMP Certification Exam
Choose the right study materials:
The following study material is recommended for every aspirant preparing for the PgMP Certification Exam:
PMBOK Guide – 6th Edition
- Examination Content Outline (ECO) and Standard for Program Management (SPM) Vol 4 published in April 2011
- You can download SPM Vol 4 from the PMI website. You can download a free copy of SPM Vol 4 once you pay for your membership or renew it.
- The Examination Content Outline (ECO) includes tasks spread across various domains of the SPM. You can download it for free from the PMI website as well.
- The PMBOK Guide is an invaluable resource for preparing for the PgMP certification exam as it includes management fundamentals, such as project management practices, tools, and techniques.
Follow a well-planned schedule:
Once you have gathered the right study material of the PMI course for the exam, the next thing to do is to gear up to gain knowledge. Make sure to construct a well-planned timetable in which you distribute the entire course over the days left for the exam and then follow it religiously.
One of the best ways to have a good preparation for any exam, including the PgMP Certification Exam, is by testing yourself with practice tests from time to time. These tests will help you acknowledge your weak areas so that you can work on them and change those into your strengths. Many practice tests are available on the internet nowadays. You can choose the ones that work best for you.
Each time you solve a practice exam, keep track of the answers you get wrong. Find out the area those questions belong to, go back and revise it all over. Also, while solving these papers, try to complete those in the exact time duration that is assigned in the main exam. Simulating the real exam conditions will give you a headstart, and you will feel more confident to face it.
We hope that the tips above will help you go through your journey of passing the PgMP certification exam smoothly. Even though the preparation can be a bit challenging, the certification will be a great addition to your resume and open the door for innumerable career opportunities for you in the future. Keep checking our other blogs for similar content. All the best!